Sunday, February 28, 2016

Report on my Interviews

"Interview, Job, Icon" November 2015 via pixabay.
Public domain dedication

Overall, I'm very pleased with how my interviews went. The people I talked to were very interesting to speak with and I'm actually very glad I had the opportunity with this project to sit down with them and find out about their professional lives.

1. What are the most significant or interesting genres that you learned about from your interviewees? Please identify at least THREE specific genres from your discipline/field of study that your interview subjects discussed writing within.

Three genres I found that my interviewees write in were mainly academic articles, emails are essential for their profession also, one of them also wrote a few books based on marketing. Finding out about these genres was very interesting because I was curious to learn how people in the marketing field write and communicate because I am considering that field in the future.

2. How do these genres differ from one another? Think about things like genre convention, content, purpose, audience, message, and context as you describe these differences.

The genres I listed are very different from each other. Articles are shorter than the books but still have a professional tone. Then emails, on the other hand, are a more casual tone depending on who you are emailing to. Also, one big difference between articles and books is pictures. The books my one interviewee showed me did not have pictures but his articles he showed me were filled with pictures that showed the reader what he was describing.

3. Based on the information you gathered in your interviews, what is challenging and/or difficult about writing within these genres (from a professional's point of view)?

The difficult thing, these professors told me, is keeping it interesting as well as informative. Both professors want to draw the reader in so they actually want to read the article and it will then be cited and recognized more by other professionals in their field. Also the criticism that may be received from different publications would also be difficult.

4. Based on the information you gathered in your interviews, what is exciting and/or rewarding about writing within these genres (from a professional's point of view)?

The exciting part, based on what they told me as well as my own conclusions, is having your work recognized. I think that would be the best part is after all the hard work being put into these different genres, having that pay off by other professionals noticing it and having it become a major piece of work in the marketing field.

5. Where in mass media - popular, academic, and/or social - can examples of this genre be found? If genre examples cannot be found within mass media easily, where can genre examples be found/located?

The way I found these genres is just by googling by interviewees names (Sidney Levy and Michael Harvey) and finding their publications that way. Their publications are all over the internet though because they have been recognized and awarded quite a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment