Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

Gerd Altman "Question Mark, Note, Man, Person" September 2014
via pixabay. Public domain dedication

Looking through the sentence variety was actually quite helpful because it helped me see where I need to change things up and where I am consistent and should keep things that way. The hardest part about this, though, will be trying to change things up in my writing in terms of sentence structure and vocabulary (hence the photo).

1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing?

Looking through my current draft, I noticed a majority of my sentences are either simple or compound. However, I do have a few complex sentences, but no compound-complex that I could find.

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs (or, for video/audio projects, different sections of the project)?

My paragraphs flow well together, it is clear to see what I am talking about at the beginning of each paragraph and they all go in a chronological order. What I did notice though is that I tend to start sentences the same way, so that is definitely something I need to fix before I submit the final project.

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?

My vocabulary could be improved in places, but I do use a variety of different words to express things throughout my project. The main weakness of my project is how I repeat some words (protest, for example, I used quite a few times). So I need to go back and fix some of those. The main strength of my vocabulary is that (when I am not repeating myself) I do use different and more exciting words to describe events and people.

No comments:

Post a Comment